Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Making Conversation


 I said I would do the things that scare me. And that's what I'm doing.
 I am horribly afraid of talking to people. I'm also afraid of putting myself out there. Because I might look stupid, and then everyone will laugh.
 This week, I have committed to making conversation. 
 And, I've committed to making eye-contact, instead of staring at the floor all the time.
 Today, at the hospital, I tested the waters. I had to go and get some lab work done, and that provided lots of social interaction opportunities. I talked to the people in the lobby, the lady in the elevator, the lady at the front desk, the nurse who drew my blood, and the man who stood there and watched her (sounds creepy, but he was a student. He was required to watch). I even joked around with the nurse. She asked me my birthdate, and I said, "What would you say if I told you it was 13-32-2016?" 
  She laughed, "It would probably take me a minute to realize what you said."
 I said, "Well, as long as you don't just agree with me and then pull out your needle... cause if you do that, I'm outta here!"
 It was nice. I like talking to people. Everybody was actually friendly. And nobody laughed at me, or acted like I was stupid.
 Are you shy and introverted, but wish you could be more outgoing? Then join me on my journey to the land of social skills! Not everyone will be nice, but it seems like there are friendly people out there. They are as afraid to break the ice as you are.
 And they're probably also afraid because there are people out there who will actually kill you if you look at them.
 It's a jungle out there.
 Tiene cuidado! Or however that goes...
 
 The grace of the Lord be with you as you go!
 -Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment