Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Man's Ego & an Angel's Humility

  Here are a couple of things from my Bible study this week that I think are worth sharing.
 Firstly, there is Abimelech's death in Judges 9. Abimelech and his armies pursued a group of people and sort of treed them in a tower(seriously, I'm thinking Rapunzel here). They are trying to kill the people in the tower, so they attempt to burn the door down. Then, a woman dropped a piece of millstone out of the tower and busted Abimelech's head open! Read his response in verse 54-
 "Then he called hastily unto the young man his armourbearer, and said unto him, Draw thy sword, and slay me, that they men say not of me, A woman slew him. And his young man thrust him through, and he died."
 I was struggling to read Judges because it is kind of bloody, but I laughed so hard when Abimelech didn't want people to think that a woman killed him. That kind of attitude is still going on!
 And second, on a more serious note, I loved the story in Judges 13. The Angel of the Lord came to announce the coming of Samson and give instruction for his rearing.
 This is what I liked: Although the Angel was amazing, he didn't want any glory. It just struck a thought that people care so much about Angels sometimes, that they are magnified above God. I do not believe that is the right thing to do. Angels are fascinating, but God created them. He deserves the praise and glory. (Read Colossians 1:16-17)

 Comment below and tell me what you learned in Bible study this week!

 *Note: I reserve the right to remove cruel or irrelevant comments. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment